Survivor – “Out serving, Out loving, and Out living the Competition”
Survivor is a reality game show produced in many countries around the world. Sixteen to twenty contestants, the castaways, are split into tribes, assigned separate camps, and isolated in the wilderness to compete for cash and other prizes. As a tribe, the castaways must survive the elements, construct shelter, build fire, look for water, and scrounge for food and other necessities for approximately 39 days. The show uses a system of progressive elimination, allowing the contestants to vote off other tribe members until only one final contestant remains and wins the title of "Sole Survivor."
Life itself is the ultimate reality game show contest. The Bible teaches that life for the Christian can be compared to several sports contests. For example, in 2 Tim. 4:7 as he neared the end of his life, the great Apostle Paul wrote: “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” In 1 Cor. 9:24 Paul encouraged Christians to live life as if in a foot race: “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” Thus, Christians are to compete in the game of life with all its opportunities, wilderness-like surroundings, tests, and trials with the intent of going full out to win the title of “Sole Survivor” amid other winning, Christian survivors.
But how do we compete to win in the Survivor game of life? On the television program, the Survivor logo contains the words outwit, outplay, and outlast, which provides an overarching strategy on how to be victorious on the reality game show. Perhaps the strategy for victory on the reality show of daily life should be to outserve, outlove, and outlive. The means by which we can employ this strategy specifically is provided in part for us in the New Testament book of 1 Peter, where Christians are instructed on how to live or “compete” with excellence in facing an opposing, pagan and hostile society.
So if you want to learn how to win the title of sole survivor on the reality game show of life, please be our guest and check out the message series Survivor from the book of 1 Peter, beginning Sunday morning, February 2nd.
· Our vision is to be a multiplying church family where imperfect people are discovering Jesus and growing in relationship with Him every day.
- To become 3Cs (Completely Committed Christ-followers) who love, enjoy, and glorify God.
The CrossPointe Code – T3 = 3C
We are passionately pursuing a never-ending mission to:
- Touch God through demonstrating love to Him, to one another & to the unbelieving (worship).
- Transform lives through connecting with one another in small groups & growing together in unity, maturity & Christ-likeness (fellowship & discipleship).
- Take risks through reaching out relationally to serve others and to share Jesus Christ (service & evangelism).